Friday, February 10, 2006

CarsCarsCars

Well I knew I would be learning a lot.

It's started already.

Was quite certain I would face some embrrassment too as I've never paid any attention to cars ever and am totally ignorant of them and everything that surrounds them.

Well, here it is, my 1st embrrassment. 1st lesson in owning a car.

I noticed a flashing red light on the dashboard. Glancing down at it whist driving I assumed it to be the oil warning light.

I emailed a colleague to ask 'what should I do about it?' since he's familiar with this car and knows a lot about cars in general. He said 'call someone and don't drive it'.

I thought a swear word (I was at work)

(I may even have whispered it).

So. talking about it with my immediate colleagues I started to wonder whether I'd properly identified the problem.

I hadn't.

It wasn't the oil warning light it was the engine temperature light.

Quick trip out to the car identified the problem. The coolant reservoir had leapt out of its housing and was bouncing about in the engine. Needless to say the cable connecting to it had detached.

So I now know a few things:
  1. That light wot wos flashing - it's not the oil warning light
  2. The identity of the 'real' oil warning light
  3. The location of the coolant reservoir
I also know that this is not going to be my only embarrassing moment where cars are concerned.

At least I avoided the huge embarrassment of calling a breakdown service for a detached coolant reservoir!

(Iknownothingaboutcarsneverhadoneonlybeendrivingfor2weeks)

Since last Saturday I've driven 240 miles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home